Saturday, December 1, 2018

The evolution of my concealed carry, or, the benefit of always carrying the same type of firearm


I've had a CCW permit for 23 years. I've gone through a few handguns and carry systems in that time, from different manufacturers, and I've finally settled on my carry. I rotate several handguns through as EDC, but they're all similar.My first CCW pistol was a SIG P226. It was my only pistol and I thought, "The guys in the gun magazines say they carry these, so I'm going to do it.". Bought a DeSantis OWB holster, a stiff leather belt, and started wearing baggy shirts to conceal it---and I weighed all of 140 pounds then. Lasted about six months. That's a whole lot of pistol.Next was a S&W 3913, traded for a SIG P239, which I traded for a Kahr P9. The Kahr was a revolutionary pistol at the time. The stainless K9 had been around for a while but the polymer P9 was the only game in town. Light, thin, well-made, accurate. I was sold.And now I carry my Kahr CM9 every time I leave the house. It shoots and functions exactly like the P9, but it's PPK sized. I also have a Kahr CW380 which I carry when I can't carry the CM9. But the CW380 shoots just like the CM9, except it's the size of my palm. The trigger is exactly the same as the bigger pistols. And the all steel Kahrs are heavier and easier to shoot so they're great trainers for the carry pistol. More comfortable means more range time, which can only be beneficial.But the same can be said for Glock. If you train with your G19 but carry your G43, you're transferring skills from one to the other.I also think that spending a lot of time training and achieving proficiency with the subcompact model of pistol will improve proficiency with the full sized one. If you're a dead eye shot with a G43, you'll rock with a G34.I don't think I would like to carry handguns with different manuals of arms in a rotation. I want drawing under stress to be as uncomplicated as possible. But I like to carry different guns depending on circumstances, so the Kahr line allows me to do that. If Glock made a truly tiny .380, I'd be all over it, though....LOL via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2DVpt9x

No comments:

Post a Comment