Sunday, October 22, 2017

Got pulled over tonight.


So I took a day trip from Phoenix up to Horseshoe Bend in Page, AZ, and then to the northern rim of the Grand Canyon. It's a good drive up there, and between Page and the GC, there are some very long stretches of straight highway. With there being so little traffic, and with so much visibility in the plains between the two places, I was booking it. Most of the time I was going 80, but I did get past 90 a few times. Well, on my way back to Phoenix, near Flagstaff I was driving cocky. Not necessarily aggressive, but definitely speeding. At this point it was around 2000 in the evening, and it was dark out. I passed a couple of cars, and in my rear view mirror I saw those red and blue lights. I knew I was speeding, and was going to have to suck it up. I pulled over and turned off the car while fumbling to get paperwork. The officer walked over and informed me I was going, "a little fast", but also that I had a head light out. Crap. At least it wasn't just speeding. I gave him my license, and some geico documents I had in my car. He informed me they were expired, he also asked for my registration. At this point I start shuffling through all of the papers. I knew my insurance was good, I just had not printed new cards. The registration though was not in the stack of papers. Shit. Now, I should preface that AZ is not a duty to inform state, but I know my registration is likely in my center console,where my CZ is. At this point, the officer is frustrated cause he sees my stack of papers and realizes how disorganized I am. He tells me I can look for the paperwork and get out to the other side of my car, but if I can't find it, instead of a warning for a headlight, I'm getting two citations for lack of insurance and lack of registration. At that point realizing I will have to open the center console, I tell him I have a firearm in there. He says that's fine, and says, "don't draw it on me, and I won't draw mine on you". He goes back to his vehicle and starts running my license. Thank God my registration is in the center console, and that I had 4G out there to pull up ID cards on the Geico app. He let me off with a warning and told me to screenshot the cards in case I was ever out of 4G range. He then told me they were mainly looking for drunk drivers on the weekend. He was cool, and I got lucky.Moral of the story is, have your paperwork good to go, unlike me in this situation. Also, being polite goes a long way.Edit: if any of this doesn't make sense, it's because I'm super tired while writing. I'll fix in AM. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2gvVgAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment