Monday, October 30, 2017

Just got my permit. First time buyer with some questions.


Howdy r/ccw,I recently was approved for my CCW permit in NY. I spent the wait time researching different firearms and reading up on everything I could. Since getting approved I've gone to a few local gun shops and held everything I could to get a feel for different guns. I've gone shooting a few times when I visit relatives in Florida, but I'm still very much a newbie. I own a 10/22 that I take to the range a few times a month, but being in NY means I couldn't even shoot a friends pistol until I received my permit. While on the range in Florida, I spent most of my time with glock 9mms (43, 26, 19 and 17) but tried a few other guns out as well (shield and a Springfield that's a similar size and configuration to a G19). I figured when the time came and I could finally get a pistol of my own, I'd listen to what everyone has said and just get the glock 19. Thing is...when I went to my lgs and held a bunch of different guns, I was quickly turned off to how it feels in my hand compared to the other guns I held. Now, I understand that I didn't get a really good idea of how they all function because I couldn't shoot them, but it just felt....bad...to me. The grip on the gen 4 and 5 wasn't comfy in my hand, and the trigger seemed less responsive to my ignorant hands. What I ended up preferring over all the other guns I held was a Springfield Range Officer compact (think it was the elite something model) in 9mm. I'm a big dude, 6'2" and 220lbs, so I'm not super worried about the size and weight of it because it didn't feel cumbersome at all to me. But what do I know...I've never done this before!Before I got my permit, I researched everything I could. Belts (got one!), holsters, carry ammo, laws, local training courses.....But I feel like everything I read about involving the actual gun has gone out the window since I got a few in my hands.So on to my actual question. Am I totally fucking up here?!I understand the benefits of a gun like the glock 19, but man....that 1911 felt gooood. Since I'm untrained (for now) and new to all of this, do you guys and gals think I'd be doing myself a disservice by getting that model of 1911? Or since I'm starting from square one anyway, will it not be a hindrance?Thank you all for the help. I appreciate having you here to help a newbie through all of this! via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2hpeQQj

No comments:

Post a Comment