Thursday, June 1, 2017

Has anyone here felt like they wasted money on a sub-par CCW class?


So recently I went in for my CCW class at a place in Las Vegas, which charged me $120 for a combined 8 hour class and thirty rounds of verification at the range. I don't want to name them, but if any locals have been there you probably know the place I'm talking about. I thought it was a little strange that the shooting came first, with them putting me on the range immediately upon getting there at 9AM, but it was simple enough to pass.After the short range time I was sent over to another building, where the class itself was. I was one of about ten people, and our instructor seemed friendly enough.Unfortunately, I learned basically nothing over the next 7-8 hours. I really can't stress how bare-bones the lesson was. It felt unorganized, with visual aids in the form of seemingly random things strewn about a table in no particular order, and consisted mainly of watching videos. We were given small handbooks about firearms laws in various states, and when someone asked about what the firearms laws were in, say, California if you were traveling through, the instructor told him "look it up".Off the top of my head, we very briefly covered:Holsters, consisting of one example of an OWB, a pocket carried .25, and, of all things, Mexican carry.An extensive, nearly hour long section about when he and his other range buddies tried firing various wrong calibers out of various handguns, for...reasons, I guess? I'm not sure what he was hoping to accomplish here. "Don't fire the wrong bullet for your handgun" seems like it should be pretty common sense.Twenty minutes of shilling for Hornandy, with the usual "look at how impressive this slow-mo ballistics gel test is" nonsense. In short: Hornandy good, Speer baaad.Taking us out of the classroom to sell us on their indoor shoot-house training. While I'm sure it's a nice thing to have, it contributed nothing to the topic at hand.Repeatedly stopping to talk about how much of a bad-ass cop he was twenty years ago.The rest of the time was spent on videos that may or may not have had anything to do with concealed carrying. Most of them were officer involved and were clearly justified, and I can only think of two that involved concealed carry at all. The "test" at the end wasn't actually a test, and the guy went through it with us step by step. There was literally no chance of failing it.The videos were alright, but honestly I feel like I learned more from watching Active Self Protection and following links from this sub relating to various aspects of when and where to carry, and the ramifications of doing so. I'm sure if you went into the class knowing absolutely nothing about CCW you'd come away with a very basic understanding of things, but for the money I expected more. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2rI8RN9

No comments:

Post a Comment