Sunday, July 25, 2021

Drew my gun in self defense for the first time.


A few days ago I was driving down a pretty busy road just listening to music and minding my own business. All of the sudden a white car gets parallel to me and turns at me, I swerve and slow down thinking he was just trying to get over and didn't see me. He then proceeds to brake check me repeatedly while flipping me off. He gets back into the left lane and I go to drive past him, once I get next to him he rolls down his window and starts yelling at me. I roll mine down to try and hear what he's saying."Are you law enforcement?! Are you law enforcement?!" Now for context - I worked as a correctional officer for the state but I haven't done that job in ~3 years. The guy looked vaguely familiar so I assumed he was a former inmate. I yelled back "No, why?" and then he responds "Then why are you such a pussy bitch" and yanks his steering wheel to the right again attempting to ram me - again I swerve and brake and he gets in front of me. He stops his car and I'm essentially blocked in by traffic with nowhere to go.He jumps out of his car and is walking towards mine pretty fast with his hands hovering near his waistband. Now, given the points where this guy yelling at me about being law enforcement and looking vaguely familiar, I assume he's some former inmate trying to attack me. It's not uncommon for law enforcement to be targeted outside of work.With nowhere to go and this guy now at the hood of my car and still approaching, I quickly open my door and partially step out while drawing my Ruger LCR. I point it directly at him with one hand and yell "Get the fuck back!". Almost like a light switch, the guy puts his hands up and walks back to his car cool-as-a-cucumber. He proceeds to drive off.I've carried a gun for the last 5.5 years, 4 of those being for both my occupation and while off work. The closest I ever had to go for using a gun before that was having my hand on my gun while myself and someone else gave someone verbal commands to a suspect.Some reflections:Adrenaline dump is insane. Between both the military (non-combat MOS) and prison work, I don't think I've ever had such a massive adrenaline dump. The initial rush died down after ~10 minutes but I still felt the effects for hours afterwards.I wish I was carrying some form of less-lethal option on me. Sometimes if I can't carry my gun I'll carry OC spray. In hindsight, what if he had kept coming at me? I really would have felt better about deploying something like OC first on (what appeared to be) an unarmed person before escalating to deadly force.I still find myself second guessing my actions a few days later. Cops said I was fine. Ran it by some friends who said I was fine. Even reviewed the state laws and those say I'm fine. However, I still find myself wondering if I went too far by drawing my gun? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/36VYW9o

No comments:

Post a Comment