Sunday, July 18, 2021

Disappointed with my Black Arch Protos-M


I recently received my Black Arch Protos-M for my G19.5 and for how much hype this holster gets, its price and the production time, I expected a much better product. Before I get further into the post, I will concede that the holster is very adjustable and comfortable.UnboxingThe holster came set in the mid-height ride option, which I thought would be fine for me because all my other kydex holsters are set at this option. When I went to unholster my pistol, I was unable to wrap my fingers around the grip because the rear clip was in the way. I decided to test this further by unscrewing the clips and setting them at the low-height ride option. I didn't get very far because whoever made my holster cut the leather wrong and I was unable to fit the t-nut through the leather hole. Now granted, I was able to cut away the excess leather with a knife, but for a $100 product that is often hailed as the best strong side carry option, this is unacceptable.Unsurprisingly, the lowest height option was also a no-go as the gun sat too low in my pants for me to be able to wrap my fingers around.AdjustabilityMaybe some of the issues I described could be fixed by setting each clip at a different height option, I don't know. Yeah, it's an adjustable holster but it's so adjustable that it's actually overwhelming. Maybe I'm just a lazy piece of shit spoiled by Vedder, but when I purchased my LightTuck there was a clear visual guide for the cant and ride height options. The only "guide" Black Arch includes is a little piece of paper with two sentences about the holster having adjustable cant. It's not very intuitive and I don't have the time or the inclination to test every angle at three different height option. It would be much appreciated if Black Arch included examples of how to set the clips for a 0-15° cant.RetentionThe retention is certainly better than standard hybrid holsters that rely on your belt to keep the gun from falling out of the holster. The issue I ran into is that retention is too tight. Yes, there is a retention screw but even when I loosen it to the point I can turn it with my fingers, the gun is retained so tightly it pulls my entire pants up when unholstering.Also, the fact that the "loose" option is so loose that I can take out the retention screw with my fingers is a big no-no.Missing PartsMy holster is missing washers for the clips. I thought this was intentional given that the retention screw and screws connecting the kydex to the leather backer don't have washers, but no. I took a look at other Protos-Ms and even the live preview on the Black Arch website and the holsters are supposed to come with washers on the clips. This isn't a huge issue but again, for a $100 product I would have expected better. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2UfhaA1

No comments:

Post a Comment