Monday, April 30, 2018

Want to share a little story about awareness


A while back I stopped to get some tobacco for a friend. Two places didn't have the kind I was looking for, and by the time I hit the third place, I was getting into a pretty shitty part of town.I go in and see the kind I need behind the counter. I get in line behind one lady. There's a young woman working the counter, and she's the only worker I can see, and she's about 100 pounds. So just me and two younger women in the store at this point.A fella shambles in wearing a hoodie with the hood up and his hands in his pockets. This was immediately weird to me because it was over 90 degrees outside. He also left his Challenger running and parked sideways across two spots. When he walks in, the cashier glances at him and I think she looks uncomfortable. All my alarms are going off now.I realize if I stay in line, then when I'm finished I'll walk out of the store and leave him alone with the cashier. Something just didn't feel right, and I always trust my gut. I got out of line and walked behind the guy to the humidor.The guy looks and me and seemed to want to wait on me, but I didn't get back in line. I watched him as he mumbles something to the cashier, writes something on a piece of paper and gives it to her, doesn't buy anything, and walks out. She reads the paper for a good 30 seconds after he left although he couldn't have written more than a few words. At this point she seems pretty visibly shaken.I buy the tobacco and ask her if everything is alright. She says yes. I asked if she was sure, she said yes. I didn't push it. I did check to make sure the guy was gone when I left.I don't know if I prevented anything that day, but a little awareness goes a long way. Plenty of folks wouldn't have given any of this a second thought. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2JG78wK

No comments:

Post a Comment