Sunday, April 22, 2018

RFI: CCW hiking day packs


I normally avoid off-body carry like the proverbial plague, but mission drives equipment, and I have a specialized mission for which my usual gear won't cut it.In a few months, I'm going to be doing some day hikes in bear country. Due to social constraints among the group with which I'll be traveling, CCW is my only option for bringing something stronger than harsh language and bear spray. My counter-ursine force projection platform is an HK45c (dimensions here for reference) launching Buffalo Bore 255gr hard cast. I am aware this is sub-optimal for bear - indeed, that any handgun is - but I selected it as a tradeoff between anti-wildlife and anti-personnel capabilities. In all things, there are compromises...Anyway.My need now is for a concealment rig for this weapon. I'm specifically looking for a hiking day pack in the 20- to 30-liter volume range with good load management (which categorically eliminates sling bags), hydration bladder accommodations, a separate CCW compartment, and a non-tactical appearance. Belt preferred for the aforementioned load management. I would prefer something that positions the weapon near my back rather than near the outside of the pack (which argues against the 5.11 COVRT18) and which doesn't put the gun in the hydration compartment (which seems to be the case with Vertx's EDC Ready and most of the other options out there).The closest match seems to have been the Camelbak Dispatch, but that was always a unicorn on the civilian market and it appears to have disappeared entirely over the last few years.Although I've been hammering Google pretty hard, I'm having trouble finding anything else that is neither a commuter/laptop bag nor so tactical it comes with its own beard. I don't need urban EDC capability - I already have a Goruck GR1 and an Evergoods CPL24 for that, and neither of those is adequate for this specific mission.(While I wish I could just use one of my Hill People Gear kit bags, I feel they will be unique enough in this situation that someone will want to inspect my nifty "camera and first-line survival gear" chest bag, and that would lead to... awkwardness. I really need to go REI Grey Man here.) via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2K6XWmf

No comments:

Post a Comment