Friday, May 19, 2017

Anti gun coworker knew who to come to when scared and unsure.


I'm not a great communicator, but I'll do my best, sorry for poor grammar and shitty syntax.I work at a very large church, facilities/outside event coordination/security, many people are quite surprised when they find out I'm a "gun guy", I have a very liberal, chill, hippie, hipster vibe. Anyway, long ago I was riding with a coworker to an event, and realized we needed to enter a BLM office to check in, one of the few places in Oregon you can't carry a CCW, so I told her to give me the keys and get out of her car so I could lock my guns in her glovebox (not the greatest way to secure, but the vehicle would be always in sight, and I hadn't planned on disarming.) She was shocked I carry guns, and so we've had many conversations since, with no mystery hiding her hate of guns. That's how she knows I carry, no one else (other than my supervisor) knows, which is how I like it.Last Sunday she came into my office in a bit of a panic and locked the door, and asked if I was carrying, and I said "always, what's up" she hands me a heavy manilla envelope, I open it, and inside is a revolver speedloader holding 44 mag jacketed hollow points.she said she found it in one of our main entrances, and thought I'd know what to do, and asked if she could hang with me the rest of the day.That night she messaged me and said "I still don't like guns, but if a bad guy ever came to hurt us, I know I can trust you, and I'm glad you'll be prepared to do whatever necessary, and I guess I'm seeing the light on 'a good guy with a gun'", which is half of the common saying I tell her often.I know this isn't a huge victory, and I know she still won't be joining me at the range, but I see it as a good step. We respect each other's views when we disagree, and we see how our strengths and weaknesses make us all (friends, staff, society) stronger. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2ryo3Im

No comments:

Post a Comment