Wednesday, July 31, 2019

SERPA holster question


TLDR up front: are all SERPA-style holsters equally unsuitable for serious use, or is the BLACKHAWK SERPA uniquely terrible?Hi all, I'm new to handguns in general and I'm still not at the point where I feel ready to concealed carry. That said, I'm interested in at least getting my CCW license so the option is available to me, and have been reading this sub as part of my research on suitable weapons, gear, and other considerations.My first (and so far only) pistol is an SP-01 tactical. I love it, but I have no intention of carrying 4.5 lbs of gun on me for anything but an emergency, much less as an edc. With that in mind, I figured an OWB, open-carry holster would be fine for this gun. Since it likely won't ever be concealed, I wanted active retention. And since I don't need to be armed for work, level 3 or 4 retention seemed like overkill. These criteria don't leave a ton of options on the table for an SP-01, and after doing some reading I ended up with an IMI SERPA-style holster. I got the paddle attachment rather than a belt loop.After reading the FAQ I understand that SERPAs are not regarded favorably, for reasons having to do with the use of the trigger finger to deactivate the retention mechanism. The IMI I have still uses a trigger finger button for retention. Should I get a different holster? And if so, what are some good recommendations for my use cases? (These are 1. safe storage, transport, and handling of the pistol; 2. draw practice; 3. temporary carry in the unlikely event I need to and have not acquired a more suitable gun for it; and 4. anything else I may be forgetting atm.) Thanks in advance for your advice and input. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/331rXNF

No comments:

Post a Comment