Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Controversial opinion: why almost everyone should buy the Glock 42 over the Glock 43


The never ending caliber debate is something I have thought about for a few years when working at a level 1 trauma center — people survive gun shot wounds from all types of calibers and die from all types of calibers...shot placement + luck is always the decided factor, especially for pistol rounds (rifle GSWs are uncommon even in the extremely violent city I worked in). I typed up a reply to someone to why I am getting a G42 over a G43 and I figured I would share my reasoning with y’all. I expect to rustle some jimmies but I think it is a great discussion to have.**In short, this video changed my mind on .380 vs 9mm. https://youtu.be/T6kUvi72s0YPlease watch it before you reply with a counterargument!**Defensive .380 and 9mm rounds can both achieve 12-18 inches of penetration with >0.5” expansion. That is the standard you need to be able to DIRECTLY hit vital organs which is crucial for a physiological stop with a handgun round. Psychological stops will happen regardless of pistol caliber. After you reach that standard, you are just adding recoil for really no gain until you get into rifle velocities: >2200 FPS approximately.Anyone that can shoot a 43 well can shoot a 42 better. Shot placement is more important than terminal energy with handgun rounds. Single stacks like the 42 and 43 are notoriously hard to shoot. Not only does less recoil help in a DGU, it also makes you more likely to put a lot of rounds through a gun when practicing. Now before the internet mall ninjas jump in with “But I’m not a little bitch and a G43 doesn’t hurt my hand at all when I shoot.” Cool, but after 500-1000 rounds over two days I would highly doubt you’re not lying, and even if you were genuine, not everyone is a badass oper8r.If I could get a G19 sized gun in .380, I would. The argument is the same as why I carry a G19 over a G23. No one can shoot a G23 better than a G19 and like I said, shot placement is more important than anything else especially with pistol rounds. The above video change my entire view on the caliber war.I think in a decade or maybe less, more and more people will start to carry .380 in larger guns. We went from .45, to .40, then to 9mm and bullet technology keeps improving. People laughed and called 9mm an underpowered European caliber when police departments were moving away from .45 and looking for a replacement. Please watch the video before you reply if you disagree. It is very informative and I would venture to guess very very few people on Reddit know more about ballistics than the two guys interviewed. I am happy to explain the physics in more detail if asked, as well as the medical/trauma side of things.I will admit cost is a factor but .380 is around $0.17/rd and 9mm is around $0.14/rd when bought in bulk. That a difference of $30 for 1000 rounds which is more than most CCW holders shoot in a year. Even if you shoot that in a month you aren’t that much poorer with a G42. You don’t really get much of a discount buying more than a thousand rounds at once so I just buy 1000 for my G19 and will buy 1000 rounds at a time for the G42. “But I want all my guns to share bullets.” This has always been a strange argument to me. Some calibers work better in some guns and some guns only are available in certain calibers. Just buy the best caliber/gun combination and buy the ammo for each gun. Preppers are excluded from this logic but they are another topic entirely...TL;DR: You should shoot the softest caliber that can penetrate 12-18 inches and ideally it expands well (but expansion is less important). A G42 shoots softer with similar terminal ballistics in the important metrics as the G43 (and is slightly smaller, and has the same capacity) therefore it is the better choice for the vast majority of people. I look forward to the discussion! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2YeDcUi

No comments:

Post a Comment