Tuesday, November 22, 2016

It's good to know what your first moves would be in a bad spot.


First time poster, long time browser. Nothing happened, I'll keep it short, it was just a good reminder to myself, and very telling of what my own action might have been - and I find that to be a bit reassuring.Out walking the pups with SO, two small dogs, her with one, myself with the other.Walking down a neighborhood street, the pups stop to sniff about at which point SO and I hear a bush rustle from the other side of a parked car.Out from the other side of said car appears a dog. Now, it was a normal dog yes, but it happened quick in which he saw my pups, and got aggressive extremely fast, and started charging from less than 7 feet away, with one of my dogs getting aggressive and advancing as well (the one my SO was holding), where they would eventually meet in the middle and start nipping at each other like a married couple. The dog I had turned tail and ran which I applauded him for as he is exceptionally small and sized up his threat appropriately without over-estimating his abilities.We live in an area where coyotes are prevalent, and can be heard in packs, so seeing a small four-legged growling creature resembling a dog meant one thing in my head - aggressive wild animal = coyote.My first response was to put my support hand forward for distance and my strong hand gripped on my pistol ready to draw, and I felt very receptive and at peace in those moments, aware of what I was going to do - all in a matter of seconds.I consider myself to not have had opportunities to really discover how I would react when faced with immediate danger like that. Being young (21) my experiences are limited, and my EDC is still fresh to me, so I take what I can and learn from it.So while this situation ended completely harmlessly and the owner came following a few seconds later yelling, it was telling of myself to know my first instincts might save me a few seconds that could save my life. I have trained a lot, dry firing, range time, all hands shooting and drawing practice, and I felt that normalcy of movement when it COULD have mattered.Pretty small experience, pretty insignificant in the grand scheme but it was a really beneficial reminder, and even a small thing like this can be telling when your heart rate jumps rapidly in three seconds.Edit: My firearm never clicked out of retention, should add that in. Wasn't a big deal at all. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2gex6wn

No comments:

Post a Comment