Sunday, April 26, 2020

Thumb forward vs thumb over grip for smaller vs larger pistols


I hope everyone knows what I'm talking about here. Thumb-forward grip being the grip most people are using these days, where the support hand's "thumb meat" rests on the pistol frame, support hand is canted forward, etc. Thumb-over grip meaning the support hand is cupped over the dominant hand, isn't canted. and the support thumb is resting on top of the dominant thumb. Support hand squeezes the dominant hand.So, competition shooters seem to always use the thumb over grip which enables them to shoot faster. With a full/compact size pistol, it does enable me to shoot faster in an accurate manner, although I am more accurate in slower shooting with a thumb-over grip which feels more natural to me.For CCW I carry an LCP II, which I love and shoot VERY well with a thumb-over grip, but cannot shoot with a thumb-forward grip due to my trigger finger hitting my support hand (I have very large hands). With my PPS, it's kind of a gray area, but the thumb-over grip feels more natural to me.So for experienced pistol shooters, I have a question. Do you think it is OK to train in different ways depending on what size gun you are shooting? For example, a Glock 17 versus a Glock 43? Or is it better to be consistent? I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea of having different grips for different guns, but I haven't gone to the range enough lately (virus) to come to a conclusion. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/35iVaFz

No comments:

Post a Comment