Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Police


This is not a post about hating on LEO.I've seen a few posts about LE encounters where CCers were disarmed by officers for "officer safety". Regardless of whether you live in a duty to inform state or not (I don't, but foresee the possibility of informing anyways as a courtesy and precaution), if it becomes known that you have a firearm (either through being informed or their notice of it), can they legally disarm you?I'm asking because we all know the dangers of a ND when administratively handling a firearm, and wouldn't like the idea of an officer anyone unholstering my loaded weapon except for myself and myself only.If they ask if they can disarm you, do you have to allow it?If you don't consent, can they legally do it anyways?What would you prefer happen as an alternative if they're concerned for their safety, and you're concerned for yours by being disarmed since all they want to be able to do is safely process your information?This is something I've thought about, and have come up with the idea that I would voice my concerns about a ND and if they're still concerned about the places my hands may go, they can remove my wallet while I keep my hands high to the sky. However, until recently I never thought to consider whether or not I can legally refuse (not to be read as physically resist) disarmermant.Is the only alternative being placed in handcuffs for the duration of the encounter so that my hands are tied, or is this unlawful detainment?Looking for an honest discussion about the law, safety and courtesy towards officers. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2NizW1b

No comments:

Post a Comment