Friday, February 22, 2019

Update: pulled over by rookie cop


A few of you from my original post offered me some advice and asked me to update so I figured I'd do that now.VCDL mostly mirrored comments from most of y'all and added that while completely ridiculous nothing that went down was illegal. They recommended I call the department and have a chat with the officers shift supervisor.I gave him a call this evening and he promptly returned my call and started off by telling me that the officer had notified him pretty quickly of the stop and that he had viewed the body cam footage. He essentially told me I was correct and that the officer was very new and apologized for how the stop went down. He also had had a discussion with the officer and will follow up again after having spoken to me to be sure to use the incident as a teachable moment for the officer.He reiterated that I was within my rights to refuse entry to my trunk and vehicle and that while there was no real need to disarm me in the first place when the stop was complete I should have been given my firearm back with the mag out and the slide locked and that the officer has been instructed as such. It was late and I was just about to head out so I forgot to bring up the issue with his handling of the firearm but all in all as shitty as a situation as the experience was I am glad the supervisor was owning up to it and using it to teach this officer how to better handle encounters with legally armed citizens. I wish it were something these officers were competent with before they end up on patrol but it is what it is. Hopefully this officer took some valuable lessons away from that stop. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2E5NXv6

No comments:

Post a Comment