Monday, February 25, 2019

The value of dryfiring


I have a dry fire program that I complete regularly (like 3-7x a week). I've gone shooting 4x since last May, and I hadn't been shooting for over 10yrs before that. Every time I go to the range, my groups are smaller and my speed is up.Last May, I tried shooting (Shield 2.0 9mm) a man-sized target at 20yrds and probably missed the paper by half, and only got a few on the silhouette. The last time I went, I was able to get a basketball sized group with my Shield and a smaller group with my M&P all in the head.I'm not anything special, but I watch a lot of videos on YT and try to spend a lot of time getting my grip right. This is just a little bit of encouragement to those of you who aren't able to go to the range as often as you like because of the cost.ToolsI buy too much stuff, but this is what gets used basically every day:BarrelBlokShrunken IDPA targets taped to the wall of my officeIn lieu of IDPA you can use this handy target made by Claude Werner, the Tactical Professor. Stand at 7ft and the targets will represent the yardage displayed.Dry Fire Par TimerThis program (after buying the books he recommends at the beginning of the post, I see how he's taken the "gaming" out of it and turned this into a self-defense exercise. The books are really good, but he does give you the best of them from an SD perspective.)Most of the time I track my results in a spreadsheet. Sometimes I have 10min and I don't feel like documenting everything, but generally speaking I track it. This means I'll be able to see what my par times were and slowly push myself to make perfect reps just 0.1sec faster. If they are messy, then I know I'm not there yet, but if I can nail it, then I have a new standard par time and I can start working on improving from there.And that's it. At any given time, I'm no more than 48hrs from at least 60 draw and presentations. I've fouled up my draw every way imaginable and I've learned how to recover it. I've grabbed the gun the wrong way countless times and seen what it does to my natural POA. All of this is really good to experience in my office instead of when I really need it.I would encourage all of you to get a program via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2H586EH

No comments:

Post a Comment