
Hey guys,I've read a lot of musings on how condition 2 (one in the pipe, hammer down) is the most unsafe way you can carry a 1911 as if anything happens with the hammer getting snagged, half-cocked, and released, you could have a misfire. I don't own a 1911 myself, so I'm not sure if this is just gun forum FUD or if there's some truth to it. It seems like this gets repeated enough that there's got to be something there. This leads me into my question...My SO recently got her concealed carry license, and while she's gotten more comfortable with guns in the last few years, she's very concerned with the safety of carrying one on her and potential misfires. Believe me, I know what everyone is thinking right now, a good holster that protects the trigger is all you need to prevent misfires. I agree. I really just think she needs to own her own gun, take it apart, see how everything works, train with it, and that comfort level will get there.In the meantime, we've been looking at guns with multiple layers of safeties as a middle ground of me just want her to start carrying and her concerns about misfires. The Springfield XDE seemed like a big winner as it has both a safety and a strong double action initial trigger pull, creating a scenario where it seems virtually impossible that the gun would get out of its holster, have the safety come off, and pull a 12lb trigger. The XDE was way bigger and heavier than we were expecting, which lead to looking at a bunch of other similar guns.The winner ended up being the Sig Sauer P938 as it's got the two layers she's looking for between needing to take off the safety and cock the hammer back before firing, but I'm really not sure how much of the design is just 1911 inspired and how much of it shares the actual problems 1911's allegedly have being held in condition 2? I don't want her to be carrying a gun in an actually unsafe manner, for obvious reasons, even if it makes her feel safer carrying it that way.Anyway, would appreciate any thoughts or other advice you guys have gone through in getting your SO to carry. We're members of a really great range that does a bunch of classes specifically for women, so I think she'll get there through training... I just want her to get there herself instead of being like, "No, this is dumb, your gun won't go off, don't worry about it," as that doesn't seem like a great way to approach anyone's fears about carrying. Aside from the whole "Anything less than condition 1 is bad" thing, is there any problem carrying a P938 uncocked and locked? via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2qIkLDp
No comments:
Post a Comment