Thursday, May 18, 2017

A shoulder holster I would -not- recommend.


So...my Fist #70 showed up today, finally. I was really, really thinking a shoulder holster would be perfect for me. Maybe it could have been, but definitely not this one.I have to say, I'm never going to use it. I don't know if they have a return policy, but even if I just blew $155, fuck it, I don't consider it safe enough to want to use it.I did get it in Kydex. The molding is not that great, for a start. The gun can and will rock forward if you apply any reasonable pressure on the rear of the grip (it's a vertical carry; I hate the concept of horizontal carry constantly violating one of the four pillars). The pull-through snap area...it might all work in leather, but honestly I don't feel comfortable with how the Kydex around the trigger guard area doesn't spread more as you're holstering. I get the feeling it'd be too easy to engage the trigger if you had the safety off or didn't have a safety. I have a safety and would keep it engaged, and I -still- don't like the way it was acting around the trigger.The leather straps... Oi. For all the criticism my Walmart-bought Winchester belt got (since replaced with a Hanks Kydex), that old belt had better quality leather.There is no part of this holster I would recommend. It looked ideal to me in the YouTube video, honestly. I thought it would be -great-. Maybe it is in leather. I cannot in good conscience recommend it in Kydex. I just can't. It -may- not be, but it feels like an accident waiting to happen, and that's when you're holding the thing perfectly even and parallel with your gun. Introduce an angle, and I'd feel even more uncomfortable.Another -stunning- failure is that the Kydex is -very- close to the grip. You pretty much have to rip up your cuticles above your nails to get -any- sort of hold of the grip of your gun, and getting a full-on grip is literally (in the -original-, definitive sense of the word) impossible. Can't happen; there's not enough gap to do so, safely or otherwise.Per my flair, Shield 9mm. YMMV with other pistols.I'm really, really disappointed. And I waited like five or six weeks for this disappointment, so it's really well-earned. :(I didn't even bother getting it adjusted. I was checking the way the gun and holster interacted, and I don't like a bit of it. You couldn't pay me to use it. I wouldn't feel at all safe doing so.Then there's doing business with the company. I had a pretty bad experience. Friendly enough, did pre-sales fine, but made a mistake on the order, took extra time, has a -very- odd definition of "a few days" (apparently "a few days" means two more weeks), etc.Thus ends my effort to get a shoulder holster. Since I found my Genotac Mod and now a good belt, I'm fine with sticking to carrying OWB, and my printing is pretty much non-existent now. My wife knows where it is, and she can't tell unless i literally pull the shirt down around the handle in a totally unnaturall fashion. So... Enough with the effort to find a shoulder holster. I give up.If you're going to try, try something even more expensive. This is not the holster you want. (Next one up I'd try from somewhere was like $375. Screw it, I'm done with trying to make it happen, since I've become happy with OWB.)On the plus side, my Hanks Kydex belt showed up today as well, and I -love- that. Very nicely made, and very sturdy! Should improve my OWB experience even more than I had. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2rxqriC

No comments:

Post a Comment