Saturday, August 20, 2016

My time carrying: A history of U/Tarnsman4Life's carry gun, setup etc or : How to learn from my missteps


Carry setup #1Before I could even carry in the fine state of Illinois, shortly before our carry law was passed I decided I needed to get "ready". So what did I do? I purchased a N82 single clip 'pro" series holster for my P226. I carried it around the house for a few weekends, around my property in WI using a normal leather belt and my "normal" pants. I hated it. The setup was heavy and uncomfortable, the belt gave me little support, in short I almost said "concealed carry sucks".This lead to carry setup #2One of my only other handguns at the time was a Walther PPQ M1 I had picked up as a range toy. I loved this gun, this is the gun I qualified with for my permit, great all around gun. I purchased a Crossbreed holster assessing a single "clip" holster for a full or "compact" sized handgun was not ideas. I also purchased a Hanks Amish CCW belt. This setup was more comfortable but still not great. It was still uncomfortable more or less. Just before I got my permit the PPQ ended up with an issue that sidelined it to the factory for a couple of months. SO here I was about to have my CC permit but without a firearm or holster with which to do so. This had to change.Setup #3I purchased an H&K VP9 the week it came out for about a $50.00 premium over MSRP. I bought into the hype but i ended up loving the gun, still do. I also purchased a "White Hat" holster for it. Using the same Hanks Amish CCW belt, the same pants , shirts, etc as my pre carry life I used this setup for about 5 months. At the time I thought my setup was a little too bulky and a little uncomfortable but tolerable. Eventually I decided I wanted more "Firepower" in a smaller gun which I assumed would give me more comfort. I was wrong.Setup #4I purchased a Glock 30S and Glock 21 Gen 4 OD from a local dealer who specialized in Glocks, got a hell of a deal, HD night sights, Ghost connectors on both, whole 10 yards for about MSRP +50 on the guns. This is where I made an important change in my setup and take note. I purchased "every day" shirts that were one size larger than my normal and pants one size larger as well. This improved concealability as far as the shirt and comfort as far as the pants. I was still using a Cross-Breed/White Hat style Hybrid IWB @ about 3:30-4 and the same hanks belt. This was an improvement but I found the gun "heavy" and always weighing on my pants making things like long distance walks a PITA. I decided after a few months of carry it was time to make yet another change.Setup #5:I purchased the Glock 43 within about a month of it coming out. This gun is still in my regular carry rotation so I don't view this as a misstep but as a part of my final carry "options" package. I made another very important change to my setup with this firearm, I decided after reading so many rave reviews I was going to get a Stealth Gear holster. This setup was a dream, finally, I was in carry heaven, I forgot I was carrying a firearm most days. I had no issues with weight, sagging, discomfort, anything. I was in love. Except, my groups at the range @ 21 feet were about double the size of a pie plate on an average day shooting at about 1 round per second the fastest the range allowed. I was simply unhappy with my groupings, I installed a Ghost connector, HD night sights, etc and while the groupings improved to just larger than a pie plate I wanted better.Setup #6: The compromiseI decided that I wanted a higher ammunition count in a gun I could better control when firing, especially in "combat" conditions of as fast as I can squeeze the trigger. I decided against the Glock 19 at this point because I had already stopped carrying a similarly sized firearm months earlier in the VP9. So I purchased a compromise gun of the Glock 26. I added HD sights, Ghost connector, Pinky extension for the carry mag, SG Onyx holster and my same old hanks belt (pay attention) with my newer larger clothing. While this setup was a little bulkier than my G43 setup it was most certainly still comfortable and concealable. My groups were less than the size of a pie plate @ 21 feet. Life was good enough. One day I got to looking at my Glock 26 with the extension next to my PPQ and after some recent "events" earlier in 2016 I thought "Maybe it is time to give the Glock 19 a try". The G26 is still in my rotation when I want firepower but concealability, I still carry it as deemed needed with the flush fit 10 round mag.Setup #7 Lucky #7My hopefully final and current setup. I purchased a Glock 19 Gen 3 RTF2 Gray Frame earlier this year. I also made a VERY important upgrade to a Beltman leather belt with stiffiner. When first paired with a SG Onyx and later the Onyx Mini , along with the Beltman belt this gun is as comfortable to carry as my Glock 26 Gen 4. I can make a group smaller than a fist @ 21 feet at combat speed, no more issues with closing, no more issues with sagging, no more carry related issues period except a Glock 30S I barley shoot and a VP9/PPQ that get to the range about twice a year each. I purchased a used Blue Label early Gen 4 Glock 19 to preserve the RTF2 Gray Frame as another cool "hand down to my future kids" gun. Overall the Glock 19 platform, IMO is a do it all gun.A side note: After the VP9 and before the Glock 19 I always had a "Carry" gun and an HD Gun one thing I like about carrying a VP9 or Glock 19 sized gun is they are ideal for both; no more swapping when I get home , most training is done on one platform.What are the lessons here?If I had used a proper belt from the beginning I probably never would have purchased the Glock 30S and would have maybe skipped the Glock 26. I may not have even gotten into Glocks and just stayed with the VP9. At the end of the day with proper clothing an SG Onyx and a good belt my VP9 setup would have been damn near ideal. I also would have been a lot more comfortable for the 1.5 years it took me to find my final setup. Learn from my journey so that yours may be smoother. Carry on. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2brCVTE

No comments:

Post a Comment