Saturday, June 18, 2016

Requesting advice on a new(ish) shooter.


Hello everyone. Firstly, sorry for the long post. I have been carrying concealed for quite a while now, and have been handling firearms for a little over a decade. My little brother recently came to me for cc advise. Backstory, he has only an introductory knowledge of firearms and I've never personally never observed him shooting or handling weapons. Furthermore, he's 18 (red flag one) and has decided he needs to defend himself because of the recent events (he's 18, cut him some slack. Still, red flag two). He's not a malicious kid. I think he's just scared thanks to constant media fear mongering. When he texted me, I responded with the following.First, you need to be properly trained on safety, function, state/federal law, proper situational awareness, and most importantly of all, WHEN to use a firearm, which is basically never. IF you choose to go through all that and then carry a firearm daily, there is something you need to understand. You're a faggot and a bitch. Your girlfriend is a whore. If you can't handle that simple of an insult, then you have no business carrying. When you carry, you have a responsibility. Should you ever need to use your firearm, it needs to be CRYSTAL clear that you had no other option. He was saying threatening things (or things you thought were threatening) is NOT a good reason to shoot someone. A firearm is ONLY to be used when all other options have been exhausted and you or someone nearby is at severe risk of death or severe bodily harm. You also need to understand that, after it's over, you may still end up being screwed. You will be hated, your friends will disown you, you may lose your job, you will likely lose your relationship, and you will never fully recover mentally. Now, if you still feel that you want to be armed, then we can talk about it sometime. Understand this though. I WILL NOT arm you. Furthermore, I will not recommend that you be armed until you have demonstrated what I consider to be acceptable levels of competency, respect for a weapon, knowledge of state/federal law, and have spoken extensively with mom and dad. I know things are getting sketchy, and I know you want to be armed. But rushing into firearms is only a good idea in the middle of a war, and even then it's not great. Until the reds start parachuting out of the sky, you need to go through proper training. If you're willing to accept and understand this, then we can talk in the future.My question is, what do the other experienced carriers here think? Where did I go wrong with my response? Finally, what would you recommend my next steps be? Thanks in advance for any advice. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/1ZYBRqQ

No comments:

Post a Comment