Saturday, June 25, 2016

Fired my CCW against a raccoon today.


Earlier today I was at my parents farm picking up their dog to watch while they are out of town for the weekend. As I was leaving, there was a juvenile raccoon walking in the yard. I stopped my car and watched it for a few seconds. What concerned me was not only was it out in the middle of the day away from any cover, it had an obviously unsteady gait. I got out and went to investigate it further. I was able to walk up on it to within five feet before the animal even noticed I was there. It sat kind of fell over and made no attempt to escape. At this distance, I could see that the fur was ungroomed the eyes were cloudy. At this time, i concluded that the animal was obviously very sick, and as such presented a threat to my children, nieces and nephews who were coming over to play today, as well our dogs. A sick raccoon that has no fear of predators is a dangerous animal. After ensure a safe back drop, a single round from my Glock 42 ended the threat.Not sure if there is any lessons to be learned from this, but it is a good reminder that your defensive tools are not limited to use against two legged threats.I think it should go without saying that I took no joy in doing this, and I am slightly concerned after talking with my father and learning that he had an almost identical situation with another sick raccoon two weeks ago within 50 feet of where I encountered this animal. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/28U32TO

No comments:

Post a Comment