Sunday, June 26, 2016

Got pulled over with a gun on me!


I wanted to take a moment to share my experience, I got pulled over by a cop for the first time while legally carrying.Little bit about me. I'm 23, grew up around guns, and I've been carrying for about six months now. I am very comfortable carrying and have been proactive in studying the legalities of carrying in the state i'm in.I live in the state of Florida, which is not a Duty to inform state, and in researching proper ways to respond in various situations, I read everyones opinions, from "F*** cops, they don't need to know," to "ALWAYS TELL COPS." So I had to come to my own conviction with how I would respond, and today I got my chance.As my wife, son (1 1/2), and I were leaving our neighborhood this afternoon, i'm waiting to make a left turn, I noticed a cop rolled up pretty quick behind me. Initially I thought "wow that cop came out of no where." After a few moments, flashing lights. Of course the normal adrenaline pump begins, (not my first time being pulled over) but I remained calm because I know I have a clean record and I keep everything up to date concerning our vehicle.Once I saw the lights begin flashing, I put my vehicle in park, rolled down my window, and put my hands at 10 and 2. To be honest, I was a little nervous to find out the mindset of the officer approaching my vehicle.I recognized the officer was on the younger side, but was alone. After he came to my window, the casual "how's it going's" were exchanged and he asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I honestly had no clue and told him so. I expected a faulty light, but I had actually rolled through a stop sign. He saw me slow down and check both ways but didn't come to a complete stop. I knew I was guilty of it.I had made the decision, that if I were to be pulled over, I would inform the officer. My cousin is a cop and as I read stories and ponder the stress in a cops day to day routine, I came to the conclusion that I would let them know so there were no surprises to neither party.The officer then asks for my license and insurance. I responded by saying yes and handed him both my drivers license and my CCW license. He simply said "Thanks, are you carrying?" I responded with "yes," as my wife opens the glove compartment and exposes extra mags (I also carry extra mags in my pockets, be proud). He said "ok, thanks, i'll be right back."He went and ran my license, quickly I might add, and returned to verify the insurance my wife had to pull up on her phone, (she was supposed to have a printed copy I asked her to print, but nvm that).He then said "okay, you're good to go. I'm not going to give you a ticket, just come to a complete stop next time."I then told him, "Thank you and thanks for being so easy going concerning me carrying." And he responded with, "No, Thank you! We appreciate when you let us know, it helps put us at ease. Criminals won't tell us they have a weapon and CCW holders are usually more respectful and responsible."We said our goodbyes and that was it!Few things I want to note. 1. I don't live in the nicest of neighborhoods, with quite a bit of crime around. So naturally I expected him to be a bit edgy, but he was very professional.For the record, i'm a built hispanic guy, played football in highschool. Driving a dodge durango, with tinted windows, after market rims and upsized tires.I kind of expected his countenance to change once he knew I had a gun, but I didn't really notice much, if anything he became more comfortable.I full heartedly believe that handing the officer your CCW is the smoothest way to inform them you have a gun, rather then saying "I have a gun."I've never experienced my license being ran that fast, but I wouldn't be surprised if he cut me some slack because I informed him and was respectful.Treat officers with respect. FOR THE MOST PART, we are all on the same team in the fight against criminals.Hope you enjoyed reading about my experience via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/292Upr5

No comments:

Post a Comment