Saturday, June 18, 2016

Gear Review: The "Shield" Hybrid holster by Aegis Armory


I have had this holster for around 7 months now and have worn it extensively. I'd say out of my collection of holsters for my G19 it has easily gotten the most use. For the most part it's a typical leather/kydex hybrid holster with two clips to spread the weight out. Where it stands out for me is the quality of the leather, and the fit/finish put into to compared to some of the other similar holsters I've tried (Alien Gear, Crossbreed). The leather is finished all around, the kydex is cut down to the minimum it needs to be, and everything is just nicely rounded. Also, it has belt slots for OWB carry too, but I only ever use it for IWB so I can't comment on it there. But it is a potentially nice feature if you want to use the same holster for both IWB and OWB carry.If you want/need a breathable holster then go for Stealthgear (which by all accounts are fantastic), but if you don't mind leather as a backer (if you live in a cold-ass climate like me and/or work in an air conditioned office everyday) and don't want to spend that much or wait two months but still get a quality holster, I think this holster is one of the best examples of its type. And at $55 or so it's slightly more than an AlienGear but I think the quality is leaps and bounds better. Plus, after 7 months or so of wear, the leather still smells new. I sniff it when I take it off sometimes. Deal with it.One other thing I really like about it is the slightly flared mouth of the kydex sheath. Drawing and re-holstering on this guy are a dream by hybrid holster standards, maybe any IWB holster standards actually. It's extremely smooth, and it's got a nice combat cut - I have no issues getting a proper grip on my G19 when I practice with it.I have two very minor criticisms, but they honestly apply to any holster of this style. First is the retention feels a tad loose when gun is just in the holster but not in your waistband with pressure applied to it. I don't really see this as a big deal though because when worn properly, I have never experienced any retention issues. Second is that the clip screws can come loose on their own over time and need to be tightened. Again, this is an issue with any type of holster that uses clips like this, and all you have to do it apply some threadlocker to the screws to get them to stay put. That's it - those two issues are very easily overcome, and in my opinion are outweighed by the pros of this holster.All in all, I'd say this is one of the highest quality hybrid holsters on the market (especially for the money) and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I really appreciate the fit and finish and attention to detail put into its construction, and the many color options for the kydex are cool. Mine is police blue with a carbon fiber pattern and it looks great! This is currently my EDC holster and will probably remain so for awhile.Oh and Aegis Armory is a small shop down in Georgia in case anyone was wondering. Stephen, the owner, is great to work with and is very responsive. We emailed back and forth about a couple things while I was in the order process and he was quick to respond, courteous, and helpful. Can't ask for much more. Also, their logo is really cool, and it's embossed in the leather of the holster which I really like.Here is a link to the product on Aegis Armory's Website: http://ift.tt/1UUOfH1 are a couple youtube reviews that led me to ordering this holster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WrNFs253EA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-548cjfGQgAnd here are some photos since I know yinz (oh god I've lived in Pittsburgh too long..) will want to see that: http://ift.tt/264cw65 dog's name is Ollie. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/1UUNHAS

No comments:

Post a Comment