be prepared with calm logical reasoningThis sounds like a nice idea... but in practice... LOL yea good luck.This is a quote from another ccw thread where the kid is dealing with his mom. I wrote a wall of text as a comment but I don't want to hijack his thread. Read and respond if you want.I was having a discussion with my gf. We are not married, do not have kids. Neither of us are certain if we even want kids. She said, "if we have kids, I don't want guns in the house.She said, there's no telling what kind of accident can happen. I mentioned how most of that is dumb people putting a gun under the mattress or a gun in the back of the dresser or on top of the fridge or in a crevice in the closet... and not expecting their undisciplined kid to find it and play with it. Or tragic as it is, but far to frequently we hear... mom leaves gun in purse. Kid gets in purse and the worst happens.I explained heavy safe bolted to the floor in the closet. Thumbprint safe on the night stand to keep young digits away. I explained how we are going to teach fire escape plan. Don't stick stuff in the electrical outlets. If an stranger asks you to leave with them, SCREAM. If someone comes to pick youup from school, even if you know them, if they don't tell you the secret "password," do not get in the car.I explained we should teach respect for firearms. If you see a firearm, STOP. Leave the room. Tell an adult.The kids will not play with "toy guns." When they are mature enough, they will learn firearm safety. Start with archery, then rifle marksmanship then pistol.She said again... "but... accidents?"I said... do you trust me driving you and the kids to the movies? Do you trust me picking up kids from school? (She's had a million tickets and fines, I haven't had a ticket in 8 years. No need to knock on wood, I'm just a safe driver.) She saw where I was going with me being a safe driver... but... accidents happen... and theres a higher likelihood we get in a car wreck from someone else's stupidity.This is the point of the story. She stopped me. She said and I quote "I'm gonna stop you right there. I don't care about logic and statistics. Accidents happen, end of storyI paused. I "accidentally" said, "I respect your point of view" (I don't.) And that was the end of that discussion.If she's gonna be that emotionally crippled. If she's gonna be that thickheaded to not listen to reason... Maybe she isn't the one for me? I'm not gonna dump the chick, I love her. Maybe we don't get married, maybe we do? If we do get married plan for kids, there's a lot more time for calm logical reasoned discussion. But right now... I would say I represented myself well. As for convincing her, it was an abject failure at facevalue. But she will have some time to think about her statements and values. I planted the seed. We will see how this goes.Sorry for writing a book here for you dudes, but this happened recently, I thought it was relevant and needed to vent. Thanks. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/1PwzqpV
No comments:
Post a Comment