Sunday, February 3, 2019

Update on my .22-happy fudd parents


Original post here.I went to the LGS with my mom yesterday to look at some options to replace their LCR which she says beats her up (fair). I had my whole list but started on the revolvers because she is super scared about semi-autos and hates racking the slide.Salesperson was very nice and had her try the Shield EZ, which she was able to rack just fine, and liked that the cartridge is smaller, but she has already decided that revolvers are god and can’t be beat. She has also decided that .22 is phenomenal for self-defense, and keeps quoting some YouTube video that says so. I asked if it was with ball or hollow points, and she didn’t know the difference. Sigh.I did try to be good and not tell her she is wrong, and let the salesman do most of the talking, but she basically bulled through all of it and insisted on only wanting to see things in .22. She took down notes on the Ruger line (SP101 and GP100), and we will be back to rent a few things. The only not-small-frame .22 revolvers the rental counter has are a Rough Rider (my parents already have one) and a S&W large frame (don’t remember the model), but my mom thinks that sort of thing is great because it holds 10.Her main issue is she is terrified of recoil. She has no physical limitations (carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc), she just doesn’t like any kick whatsoever. Both the salesperson and I mentioned a few times that recoil can be learned and managed, but she then said “well I think it’s a male vs female thing, and also I’m older.” For being a woman with a PhD and who works out 3 times a week, she has an extremely low opinion of women and old folks, and uses it as an excuse to get out of stuff she doesn’t want.When we rent, I’m going to insist she try a medium or large frame in 357 (edit: BUT SHOOTING 38 SPECIAL) and shoot it side by side with their LCR just to see the difference. I also sent her a few articles about 22 vs centerfire, because she has no idea what they are, and only found her “.22 is amazing” video because she already decided it’s the best, and confirmation bias is a thing.I’m sure she will still demand .22, but my dad may be able to temper her insistence. Does the community have any more advice? via /r/CCW http://bit.ly/2TtMPIn

No comments:

Post a Comment