Thursday, February 21, 2019

Some thoughts on subcompact grips and accuracy


TL:DR- Fixed low shot placement by loosening my pinky grip, and cant figure out how to pull straight back on the trigger when the subcompact grip is so narrowSo far I’ve put around 700 rounds through my sig p365 and last time I was at the range I got to experimenting with my grip to see if I could squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it. I dry fire a lot so I’m almost 100% free of flinching issues, EXCEPT when I shoot indoors because the loud report sometimes makes me flinch on some shots.But what I was specifically looking to get down was my trigger pull, because with the subcompact grip it seems almost impossible to use the pad of the end of my index and be able to pull straight back. Naturally, my large hands wrap further around and I end up pulling at the second joint, but I think it’s causing some of my shots to veer left because of the tendency for my other fingers to curl at the same time and twist the grip (basic biomechanics). I’m pretty good at isolating the movement, but if I have a particularly tight grip I’ve noticed that it’s harder to eliminate this issue. And the reason it’s becoming a problem is because my support hand can barely get any purchase on the frame to help stabilize the gun, so I end up having to hold tighter with my firing handAnother thing I was noticing was actually a negative effect of shooting with the 12 round mags as opposed to the 10 rounders. I was shooting low but wasn’t flinching at all (verified with snap caps). My theory was that when you get that extra pinky real estate, I think you tend to start using it more than you should. If you look at the shape of the grip while using the 12 rounders, you’ll see that its kind of concave and gives the shooters pinky more leverage to pull the muzzle down when their pinky is engaged.So what I tried doing was a trick I saw on YouTube a while back. Can’t remember the video off the top of my head, but essentially it was showing that you shouldn’t rely on the pinky for grip and instead you have to use your second and third fingers exclusively.Well, it turns out that just making that one change actually made a HUGE difference! Immediately the elevation of my shots was back to where it should be.Now I just need to figure out a way to get better purchase on the frame with my support hand, and practice pulling straight back even though it’s hard with the narrow grip. It’s amazing how much more you learn about fundamentals when you are going for accuracy out of a subcompactJust wanted to put this out there and get a discussion going on fundamentals as they apply to narrow grips and small frames. Plus it seems a lot of people might benefit from the pinky thing, seeing as how popular it is to put extended base plates on mags, yet how detrimental that might actually be to your accuracy if you rely too heavily on them for extra grip via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2Iu26rl

No comments:

Post a Comment