Saturday, September 8, 2018

California Employee Carry rights? San Diego


I have to use a throwaway account for 'reasons' but I'm a city of San Diego Employee and have been for a several years. I have experienced way too many threats to my life from other people while on the job which is among the many risks endured from working primarily in the public right of way. During the immediate aftermath of Peruta V. San Diego 2014, I was one of the many that applied for a CCW and got put on indefinite hold by our now unfortunately reelected Sheriff. Just before the 2018 election though, the SD sheriff began processing and even approving some CCW applications that mentioned a detailed form of self defense as good cause. I only found out in march and reapplied in April, had my original 2014 application resumed and actually began processing in May.On day 85 after submitting documents, fingerprints, good cause statement and supporting evidence the SD sheriff called my office and requested my immediate supervisors contact info to 'verify my employment' and the last question they asked after verifying my employment was if there was any form of no carry policy. Turns out there is now that was put in effect on September of 2014 after I originally applied. My employer called the SD sheriff back to inform them of Administrative Regulation 97.20 which equates to a city wide ban of " carrying any Weapon onto or in City Property regardless of whether the Weapon is lawfully owned and carried" for any city employee that are not "Peace officers as defined by California law, City reservoir keepers who live on reservoir property, and other City employees who are required as part of their job duties to carry or transport a Weapon onto or in City Property".My CCW application is once again on hold after this incident and now I've been exposed at my workplace to my superiors as high up as the Department Deputy Director.As an employee, does any employer have a right to authorize a ban on ownership or possession outside of the workplace? I'm sure this regulation was written with the intention of forbidding an employee from carrying in the work place (I share the same gripe as most of you) but because city streets and sidewalk are city property, this equates to an outright ban. This means I could get in trouble just for legally trying to move my firearms out of the city because it means crossing city properties such as sidewalks and roads. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2O11lnW

No comments:

Post a Comment