Friday, February 2, 2018

Sig P365 update: the gun is broke


Did not plan on heading to the range today, but after the Harry's Holsters review (which was very well done and I was totally joking about them copying me!) I got all pumped and made the time. Just to quickly recap:First time out, 150 rounds of Winchester 115gr running factory grease, 3 FtF with some additional failure to go into battery in a couple different scenarios.Second time out, approx. 60 rounds of same ammo, 50 rounds of Winchester UMC, had a couple failures to go into battery, got input from experienced people, seemed it was my thumbs, once I lowered my thumbs the gun performed 100% as expected. And there was never a FtF on that 110 rounds. Just not going into battery after reloading.Third time out today, +90 rounds of Remington white box, 10 rounds of Federal HST 124gr, the damn gun puked all over the place. First mag went great. Every mag after I experienced at least 1, sometimes multiple failures. For the most part these failures all seem related to the slide not cycling with enough energy. I've got some interesting pics of how it would end up, but no time to post them right now. In short, the "light primer" strikes the Harry's team reported were occurring repeatedly. I observed the same thing they describe with the slide jamming just shy of a full return. It's not so much a light strike as an off center strike. I could feel the slide slowing down. Even when visually it looked like it had returned all the way, I knew I was about to get a light/bad strike. The round was chambered, but somehow not fully. It happened so many times I lost count. Sometimes I could see that the slide was just 5-10mm out of battery. Sometimes the slide looked perfect. But I'd pull the trigger, gun would go tick instead of bang, clear it, and I'd have a live round with a little dimple at the bottom edge of the primer cap. Reload with the same round and it would go bang. I also had 1 new failure. The slide locked back after the second to last round in the mag. So every other mag the damn thing wouldn't lock back at all after last round. Then this one mag it locks back on second to last with the last live round still sitting in the top of the mag (not chambered).I went into this eyes wide open. As someone that never took to firearms as a hobby in the past (beyond just plinking with friends), I thought this would be a very educational experience and I certainly got what I asked for. The good news is that the Sig Pro Shop was fantastic about same-day replacing my dead tritium front site this week. No ship, no appointment. Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. I think they'll be holding on to it a little longer this next time. If you guys are reading, I'll be by early Monday morning. I'm done trying to figure this out on my own range time.Edit: Strike "bottom". That makes no sense. The pin would be hitting the top edge of the primer. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2GK49Th

No comments:

Post a Comment