Friday, February 23, 2018

Home invasion/attack while drinking?

Something just occurred to me as my dog started barking at the back door and I am watching TV and drinking a beer after a long work week; What are the legal ramifications if I had to defend myself or my family against a home invasion or attack if i had consumed alcohol (enough to read on a breathalyzer)? Does the level that is read come into play, or does the threat to life trump that? Basically would a person defending themselves in their own home from an intruder after they have been drinking be the "bad guy" legally? Of course in almost all scenarios the intruder would be the bad guy but could there be an argument that due to inebriation the homeowner was in the wrong? I am in a state that does not require deescalation or retreat so would that play a role? Just food for thought and would love to hear what y'all have to think or if you even have examples of a similar scenario.

*EDIT: To clarify I mean having to use deadly force to defend oneself or their family.



Submitted February 23, 2018 at 07:48PM by moramden http://ift.tt/2GEPxUy

No comments:

Post a Comment