Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Are so-called traditional martial arts dumbed down (even when practised properly in Asia)?

I found this article by Marc MacYoung after seeing a comment by another user about how TKD-even when practised in its traditional form back in Korea- is already dumbed down.

https://conflictresearchgroupintl.com/asian-martial-arts-vs-keeping-it-real-in-the-west-marc-macyoung/

To go back to the redditor who stated TKD is dumbed down, he said that even authentic traditional schools have replaced their moves with sports techniques and that they are far from whats been envisioned by the early founders pre-Korean War. He claimed that the original version of TKD would barely use kicks and most techniques are using your arms and designed to take someone out within seconds using barebones simplistic moves. I wish I can find the post he made, but he states the oldest version of TKD resembles less what we think of as martial arts today and more like WWII era Military Combatives in movement and philosophy. He also made similar claims on Capoiera.

However its interesting Marc MacYoung (who I never knew before) made a post that repeats the exact same thing the TKD guy on reddit stated. If it wasn't for his wildly different writing style, I'd say he plagiarized MacYoung or vice versa.

So I am curious is it true that even authentic styles with a rich tradition going far back as the Samurai period such as Iado and Shaolin Kung Fu has been just as dumbed down as American martial arts schools have been?

I mean I always wanted to learn Kendo so I can learn how to move like a Samurai but now I have doubts about attending a school after seeing the comment on TKD and MacYoung's article.

Can anyone give their input?



Submitted January 24, 2018 at 07:49PM by BarkeyForeman http://ift.tt/2DybV0J

No comments:

Post a Comment