Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Soon to be CCWer, Need advice and words of wisdom


Hi r/CCW, long time lurker making my first post around these parts. I'm on mobile so please excuse any formatting issues, I'm trying my best.In the next month or so I'll be taking my concealed carry class here in Florida, applying for the license, and obtaining my first firearm. Now I'm no stranger to firearms but as a poor college student I have not been able to afford one, let alone keep it in my living quarters because campus dorms, up until this point.Once I do the above I plan on carrying daily where I'm allowed to and I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of carrying. Although I might wait a bit to take some more training classes before I do start carrying daily.Now to the actual point of my posting here. I'm interested in 3 firearms currently: Glock 19 Gen 5, H&K VP9, and the H&K VP9SK.Glock is a familiar platform for me, I used it all through high school on our shooting team and take time to shoot it when I go to the range. I feel quite proficient with it. The 19 is not the 17 that I'm more intimately familiar with but having shot both I lose very little accuracy with the 19, all of which could be made up with practice and range time.The H&K VP9 was one of those movie love story moments when I first shot it. It instantly felt right, the balance was perfect, my recoil control is even better than with the G17, and my accuracy was on par with my G17 accuracy back when I on our shooting team (it has been slowly degrading over time). All of that from just my first time shooting it. Flat out love the gun. Knowing I would soon be looking into getting my concealed carry license and a CCW I went searching for the smaller version of the VP9. At the time it didn't exist but the rumors were flying about a sub compact VP9 hitting the market. Then the VP9SK came out. I have not had the chance to get out and shoot it yet but will be making time for it. As far as I can tell it's the same gun minus barrel length, capacity, and grip length.My concern is with concealing any of the above 3 firearms. I've talked with some gun buddies and none of them carry any of the above, most of them carry smaller guns like the G43 and XDS. When I asked them about the above guns and carrying them concealed I got the response that the G19 and VP9 are just too big to carry and the VP9SK sacrifices too much capacity compared to guns of similar size.Now I'm a bigger fellow, 5'9" and 270lbs and plan on carrying on the 4-5'clock area or maybe cross draw appendix. Although carry position remains to be determined. My general wardrobe ranges from t-shirts to polos (untucked/tucked) and dress shirts (tucked). They generally fit well but are not tight to me. Pants are either jeans or slacks, I rarely wear shorts (yes I'm aware Florida is hot but jeans are just so much more comfortable).I was wondering if I could get any advice on the above and anyone's experience on carrying any of the above. My preference is for the G19 or VP9 but I'm concerned about actually being able to conceal them because they're on the larger end of typical carry guns. I'm also particularly self conscious and would rather not have the discussion with some random person as to what the sharp object sticking out of my side is.I'd love to hear your stories and experience with any of the above or whatever similar firearms you've carried. As well as any words of wisdom, advice, or thoughts on my situation.Notes: 1) I hate 2 finger grips, whatever the firearm is I'll either get a pinky extension or a gun with a large enough grip to get 3 full fingers on it. In the case of the VP9SK I'd use the pinky extended magazines.2) I hate middle split triggers, the ones that are split horizontally in the middle of the trigger. I have no problem with trigger safeties.3) Holster wise I'm looking at the Aliengear Cloak Tuck 3.0 or something similar. I'm leaning towards carrying an extra magazine no matter what firearm I end up choosing.4) Aside from pure experience and preference I have no ties to Glock and H&K, so I am open to suggestions provided they don't conflict with notes 1 and 2. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2BIOzFv

No comments:

Post a Comment