Friday, August 19, 2016

Orange County, CA "Good Cause" post-Peruta Interview story + questions [long]


I went in for my CCW interview today at the Orange County Sheriff's Department in Southern California really excited because of all of the talk of how pro-CCW OCSD was before and after the Peruta case. I'm just a regular guy with a white-collar job, living in a nice quiet neighborhood, and with zero police interaction in my life. I don't have any of the heavily-emphasized reasons for "good cause" on the list that the county provides, like carrying lots of cash, active/former LEO, active restraining order, victim of violent crime, etc. I'm just an average Joe who wants to exercise his right to protect himself.The summary of my GC was that I do lots of hiking all over OC and SoCal, and there's often no reception out there for me to call first responders for emergencies. Also said that these trails were sites of a good amount of recent violent crime, and I have articles to show to substantiate it. I also threw in a few more details, but PM me if you want the whole thing.So, I show up for the interview, turn in my paperwork, and I sit down for the interview. The interviewer starts off by reading off the standard application questions and I answer everything truthfully. However, when the investigator reads my Section 7, he asks me if I was aware of the Peruta case. I say yes, and he shows me the exact list of all of the emphasized reasons that I don't have, and says a few times over that my good cause "probably isn't going to fly," and that they "might not approve," but he asks if I still want to go through with it, and send in my application anyway. I say yes, and he asks me to email him a picture of myself along one of the trails that I hike, and I do exactly that later in the day when I get home. I leave the interview not feeling the best, despite all of the good things that people have been saying about OCSD.The tl;dr and bottom line of it is that despite the countless comments online of how pro-CCW OCSD was both pre-and post- Peruta, it seemed that an average Joe like me may have been getting the short end of the stick, and it may be the case for other regular guys looking to get CCW's.I was wondering if someone who knows a thing or two about OCSD can offer their experiences or something? Maybe I just I had a bad interviewer, and it was just a bad day? Maybe OCSD really is tightening down on CCW's? Maybe my "good cause" statement was crap, even though I have family who've recently gotten by with the same GC statement? Really looking for some help here. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2biaTuv

No comments:

Post a Comment