Thursday, August 18, 2016

Girlfriend against concealed carry


So I've been with my girlfriend for several years now. In the last two years I moved to a more dangerous area where there were a few shootings of police officers and high drug crime. Some friends from work got me into target shooting and also concealed carry somewhat. My girlfriend and I are originally from an area with generally low crime and high income. Most people there are idealistic in that they feel they don't need to worry about their safety at all and gun ownership is very uncommon. As I've gotten into target shooting and have looked into concealed carry as an option I have found that my girlfriend is strongly against CC.Her stance is different from most in that she doesn't really have a problem with guns. She agrees with having a gun in the house to protect a family from home invasion. However she strongly believes that concealed carry in public is "morally wrong". Talking further she said that she thinks being in public is inherently risky and that's just something you have to put up with. She doesn't believe that she can trust concealed carriers and described them as "unpredictable". So essentially her problem isn't with the guns, it's with the people. I attempted to explain to her that I believe most concealed carriers have at least as much training shooting as cops if not more. She responded that people who carry don't get training with handling mentally unstable people.At that point we were both just speculating so I changed the subject because it wasn't going anywhere.I was wondering if anyone had any non-biased statistics showing that concealed carriers are generally well trained and that they pose no threat to a normal person. Any statistics showing how they compare to police may be helpful as well although she doesn't have a high regard for police due to recent shootings by police. She tends to think that people who carry are just paranoid like doomsday preppers and are unstable or "unpredictable".TL/DR: Girlfriend thinks people who carry are unpredictable and make her feel unsafe. She doesn't like not knowing who has guns. What stats show otherwise?Thanks via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2bhCQCp

No comments:

Post a Comment