Friday, August 19, 2016

Don't Be That Guy.


I was at my Father-in-Law’s birthday party in a reception hall this past weekend. It was organized by my wife and held at our church. I was carrying because the church is located in a sketchy area of town, and I was the unofficial security for the event. As guests began to arrive I began to play the who’s carrying game. I made two guys carrying, both between 3 and 4 o’clock. Cool, good for them.One of the guys I knew previously and knew that he carried as we had had a conversation about it the past. The other guy I had never meet before, we will call him Old Dude. He was wearing a light colored button up shirt untucked and an Army Vietnam Veteran hat.After the food and dessert, some people had left and the rest were mingling at the tables. Old Dude was sitting at a table with his wife and a female acquaintance of theirs. My Brother-in-Law and I were sitting at a nearby table talking. At this point I realize that Old Dude has his M&P Shield unholstered and is racking the slide between his legs. He then proceeds to toss the slide locked/unloaded gun on the table in front of the female acquaintance. She examines it, I can’t remember if she even touched it. Then he picks it up, drops the slide, reinserts the magazine and then reholsters. The Old Dude and wife are carrying on a conversation with the woman, extolling the virtues of shooting and how much they really enjoy it. Check out these pictures from our trip to the range.I was pissed. My wife was upset. Brother-in-Law went on a 10 minute rant. Old Dude had swept our children and my nieces. I would have told him to put it away but it happened so quickly it was over before I could have gotten over to his table.I got to thinking about it. If I had confronted him he probably would not have taken it well. People who think they can take their gun’s out to play with them in public by extension don’t think they are doing anything wrong. “Look I know what I am doing, it didn’t go bang, I know how to operate a gun safely.” The fact that it didn’t go bang this time just reinforces this in their mind. This is how accidents happen. Don’t be like Old Dude. Don’t play with your gun in public.tl;dr Old guy at a party/reception pulled out his M&P Shield to show it off to a friend, sweeping half the room in the process. No matter what, there is no reason you should unholster in public if you are not planning to use your gun. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2bnwBw9

No comments:

Post a Comment