Sunday, May 29, 2016

Carrying in the Rain


I am very new to carry, being licensed recently. Yesterday, I carried my Walther PPS M2 to a popular auto junkyard in order to help a friend find some parts for his old car. This junkyard, the name which I will not specify, has a large sign that prohibits firearms on the premises. Thanks to Florida law, I can carry anyway with only worry of the trespass warning or being spotted. That being said, I really put my concealed kit to the test. While working in the junkyard, reaching in all different angles while working on the car, it began to rain.After about an hour of being in the rain, with no ability to adjust my kit, my shirt became drenched and very formfitting. I became worried that I would print because the shirt was hugging my side so much. I was carrying in a Galco underwraps belly band holster, and the slim profile of my Walther fit very well on my side. The bottom of my shirt was hugging my waist very tight and it was outlining everything on my waist, including my belt, pocket knife and pocket flashlight. I have no doubt in my mind that if I had been carrying in an inside the waistband holster, it would've been very obvious to spot.Thankfully, I had worn a baggy dark shirt that is not see through when wet and had a pattern which helped disguise the outline of my firearm. Nobody spotted me, and it built a lot of faith in my carry set up (My Walther got a good cleaning when home!). The Walther PPS M2 disappears well in my chosen holster. I like the belly band holster's versatility to slide the setup down to become a waistband holster, or keep it higher on my belly. You don't need pants with a belt, and it keeps the gun very close to your body for great concealment. Also, in the restroom, your holster stays on your side instead of around your ankles. Only downside is that it is a bit uncomfortable. So far, I've found it to be bearable in the Florida heat. It allows me to wear shorts and a t-shirt.Having researched carrying for months if not years, I had never even considered the possibility of carrying in the rain, and how it would affect my carry setup. My reason for sharing is to bring attention to carrying in the rain. If wet, will the garments that are concealing your firearm remain rigid enough to avoid printing? Will they be formfitting? Will they be see-through? These are all questions that I had not considered, but will definitely keep in mind in the future. I could've avoided the entire post by remembering my rain jacket, but it was a good learning experience for me. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/1TPsMPq

No comments:

Post a Comment