Friday, September 21, 2018

Two weeks ago we taught our 3-1/2 yr old the rules. Tested him tonight.


We decided on this age due to another poster in r/ccw about 4 years ago that shared his story. Wish I could find that post to thank him.Two weeks ago I taught my oldest son (3.5) about guns. He was in a great mood and listening and acting responsibly so I decided to capitalize on his attention span and cooperation.My wife and I sat down and told him we had something really important to talk to him about and asked if we could talk to him. We first discussed what guns are, what they can do and how these are different than water and toy guns. We told him we were about to show it to him and asked if that was okay. We then showed him the XD (most stereotypical looking gun in our bunch) and taught him the rules of what to do when/if he finds one. Successful night. We haven't talked about it since.Tonight I hid an obviously very empty XD in his cabinet (removed the barrel and mag for total peace of mind) and then had him go retrieve a cup from his cabinet, where it was hiding.He opened the cabinet, paused, "DADA I FOUND YOUR GUN!" then ran and got me. We talked again about what guns can do and how he responded to it perfectly. The best part, he then lectured me on how I need to lock it up and not leave it lying around. (we never taught him about that part)Kiddo passed with 100% flying colors! So proud of him! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2I4CUnE

No comments:

Post a Comment