Thursday, September 20, 2018

Is a pocket gun enough? Well...


This is an image that was posted by the local sheriff's office.The county issued a fairly lengthy statement about the incident, but here's the key section of the release:"The investigation revealed that [the suspect] was driving recklessly on Highway 20 W and began challenging other drivers to fight with hand gestures, physical threats and dangerous driving, all to intimidate the other drivers. At one point during the incident, [the suspect] began pointing a 9mm semi-automatic pistol out of the Suburban windows towards another driver. No shots were fired and no injuries were sustained."(Suspect's name redacted by me).So, What we see here is somebody apparently is looking for a fight, and is reasonably well armed. From the picture, it looks like he's carrying a S&W SD9 VE, which has a magazine capacity of 16 rounds, plus another magazine (the release did specify that the pistol was a 9mm, but did not specify the amount of ammunition loaded in each magazine. Let's assume they are loaded to capacity).So, he has 32 rounds of 9mm and a full sized pistol. He's angry, he's aggressive, and he at least appears to be ready to engage in a fight.Obviously, the best case situation in this scenario is to leave the area as quickly as possible and to call the police and let them deal with it, which is what happened here.But let's assume the worst case scenario, and you're in a place where you can't leave (he was apparently trying to run people off the road- let's say he does, and you crash your car in a ditch), and you have this guy with his gun and spare magazine.Would you be confident in your ability to fight for your life with an LCP or an LCR? What about with a G42 (my personal EDC) or a G43? A Shield? Do you think you could outfight a guy who has between two and four times the amount of ammunition you have? How good are your tactics? Could you out move the aggressor and take control? Could you get a perfect shot to his chest or head at 15 yards under fire with a pocketable .380 or a double-action snub nose revolver? Could you do that with a broken rib?I'm not sure that I could. Hell, I probably couldn't. I do not believe that I could fight that guy effectively with just 7 rounds of .380. I am not that good of a gunfighter, even with the training that I have.So, at least for me, I'm reevaluating my EDC set up. I'm reconsidering the idea that I don't need a spare magazine. I'm reconsidering the idea that I only need a gun for "bad breath" distances. Perhaps I'll start carrying my G19 more. It's also time to start looking into spare magazine pouches.Anyway. What are your thoughts on this? Is a pocket or subcompact enough of a firearm for a fight? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2OIV1Sn

No comments:

Post a Comment