Tuesday, August 2, 2016

CCW Insurance only for criminal defense?


I believe I am covered under my home owners ($300k personal liability) and umbrella ($2mm personal liability) policy for civil actions that might be brought against me. I will put the language from my insurance documents below.It is from one of the top 3 largest property and causality insurers in the country and covers both inside my house and outside my house so I trust them to be around and pay a lot more than most self defense insurance programs (although i think the NRA one underwritten by Lloyds would be there to pay). If anyone, after reading the relevant sections, feels I wouldn't be covered in a civil trial I'd love to hear why you think that's the case especially if you're an attorney.Assuming I am covered for the civil portion is there any insurance that deals purely with the criminal side?Personal Liability If a claim is made or a suit is brought against an "insured" (my wife and myself) for damages because of "bodily injury" (bodily harm, sickness or disease, including required care, loss of services and death that results) or "property damaged" caused by an "occurrence" to which this coverage applies, we will:1) Pay up to our limit of liability for the damages ($2.3mm) for which an "insured" is legally liable. Damages include prejudgment interest awarded against an "insured"; and2) Provide a defense at our expense by counsel of our choice, even if the suit is groundless, false or fraudulent. We may investigate and settle any claim or suit that we decide is appropriate. Our duty to settle or defend ends when our limit of liability for the "occurrence" is exhausted by the payment of a judgment or settlement.Coverages do not apply to "bodily injury" or "property damage": Which is expected or intended by an "insured" even if the resulting "bodily injury" or "property damage" a) is of a different kind, quality or degree than initially expected or intended or b) is sustained by a different person, entity, real or personal property, than initially expected or intended.However, this exclusion does not apply to "bodily injury" or "property damage" resulting from an act committed by an insured with reasonable and legally permissible force to protect persons and property from injury or damage via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2avTnCk

No comments:

Post a Comment