Friday, March 20, 2020

Choosing My First Handgun


I’m here primarily for recommendations, but any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. I’ve done a decent amount of reading on this sub and watching YouTube videos, but I feel like there’s a lot of insight that can only be gained from someone who has owned, carried, and fired many different handguns, which I unfortunately haven’t done. I feel like I have a decent idea of what I want, but I have been a bit overwhelmed by the number of handguns on the market and have also had trouble finding one that has everything I need. I’ve tried to list everything I’m looking for to help guide recommendations. They are (mostly) in order of importance, with #1 being absolutely necessary and stuff I can budge on being towards the end.Safety - I have seen so much conflicting info on whether striker fired or hammer fired guns are safer. And then within each category, whether a slide, decocker, trigger safety, etc is best. Regardless of which category it falls under, I want it to be as safe as possible. My friend has a Bersa thunder 380 Plus with a safety/decocker that seems very safe, but that gun is a bit small for my liking. I know many people on this sub love glocks, and I definitely appreciate their reliability and love shooting them, but I don’t find just a trigger safety quite safe enough for my liking.Trigger pull - I’d like a very smooth and reliable pull that allows me to be as accurate as possible. Im fine with having a tougher trigger pull with the first shot on hammer fired handguns.Size - I have relatively large hands (not necessarily chubby just long fingers and larger than average hands overall). That being said, I’d like something that I can hold with one hand relatively easily, preferably without having to get an extended mag. I also will not be carrying it very often, so I am less concerned with concealability than many folks on here. While it will primarily be used for target shooting, I do want to be able to conceal carry every now and then, so I don’t need it to be subcompact but not gigantic either obviously.Price - My budget is ~$600. Ideally, after narrowing my selection down, I would like to find a deal online or a used gun on armslist or something and spend under 500. I’m open to spending more than 600 if absolutely necessary.Caliber - I’d like to stick with a 9mm. I am open to others, however.Double stack magazine - Seeing as this will be used primarily for target shooting (either on family/friend’s farms or shooting ranges), I’d love to have a double stack mag. I am open to single though.Looks - Finally, my least important checkbox is looks. In an ideal world, I’d love a gun that is good looking, but if I have to sacrifice looks for functionality or price, I happily will.Thanks in advance for y’alls help! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2wqcyuS

No comments:

Post a Comment