Thursday, March 26, 2020

Concealed Carry in uncertain times (concealing armor, medical, etc during widespread unrest)


So, I wanted to share my thoughts and experiments that have come out of considering self defense in the midst of everything currently going on.Like many people, I have a handful of guns I carry depending on the given day. My primary is an M&P Compact with a Vortex Venom, carried appendix with a sidecar 17 round mag; my secondary is a Shield at 3 o clock, and a spare mag; and I also have a S&W 642 for lower key and more comfortable carry. Ideally I'd carry the Compact most, but the Shield gets a lot of carry time because it's easier to carry comfortably, especially if I'm gonna be more active.However, living in a metro area that has recently implemented shelter-in-place, I've been carrying the compact exclusively (as I can shoot it better and it's a double stack) and also have been carrying a Dark Angel Medical ankle kit with a TQ and quick clot.I've also been putting together a set of rifle plates and a bump helmet for the unlikely event of post apocalyptic shenanigans. But that led to the thought that there are quite a wide range of scenarios between "normal everyday CCW" and "civilization has fallen, last man standing gets the TP".In other words, throwing on your full battle rattle may not be appropriate, but you want more protection and firepower than just your normal EDC. So I figured it was worth talking about how we can adjust our carry choices now, and in the event that things continue to deteriorate.For example, I experimented with concealing body armorI found that dark, patterned button down shirts conceal quite well, even better than dark grey hoodies. The first few are of a shirt over soft concealable armor with a 6x8 Level IV plate in the center pocket. The soft armor concealed quite well, but the plate is partially visible from certain angles. That can't be helped, but it's also unlikely to be noticed or obvious what it is except at close range.The second I tried to conceal my rifle plates in a Ferro Concepts Slickster. Surprisingly, without any attachments and with 2 rifle mags in the cumberbund, it concealed quite well. I also had a duty pistol OWB strongside and a double mag carrier weak side.Adding a backpack to the mix would let you carry a larger weapon, such as a rifle caliber "pistol" with a folding brace, or collapsing or breakdown carbine.These ideas may not be relevant during current events (and I don't intend to start wearing armor on grocery trips any time soon), but I think there are scenarios where widespread unrest (looting, riots, etc) could warrant upgrading your carry.I'd like to hear your thoughts! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2JugcqF

No comments:

Post a Comment