Thursday, October 10, 2019

I highly recommend getting into action pistol competitions if you CCW.


For me it made weaknesses in my shooting glaringly obvious and it's the fastest I've improved since I first started. Reloading, marksmanship, how you aim, how good your sight picture needs to be at varying distances, how good your draw is, how fast you transition. All of that is put to the test when you're given once chance to perform and you are being timed.I hold the governor's ten award in my state for handgun shooting and always assumed that my core marksmanship would transfer over in action pistol. It does to a degree but it can't carry you. Seeing a GM shoot twice as fast as you while maintaining accuracy really puts things into perspective and highlights your weaknesses. I could reload fast, with the timer I was fumbling my reloads. I can put 50 shots into a 8in steel plate at 25y, with the timer I was jerking the trigger or transitioning early. I'd miss a shot and try to shoot a make up shot fast which resulted in another miss. I was pausing for .3 of a second to confirm my grip before drawing which killed my times on short stages. I had no indexing and would bring the gun up over the target and then back down. Under the timer my fundamentals would start to degrade in general.Competitive shooting is full of people who want to help you succeed and have fun and be safe while doing it. My only regret is taking so damn long to get into it!/r/competitiveshooting via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2B0IxQZ

No comments:

Post a Comment