Tuesday, July 6, 2021

What to do with what I've learned?

This might be a little meta, so I hope that's allowed.

Self-defense has been one of my biggest and most consistent passions for almost a decade now. I've tried my best to study every aspect of it, learning from as many sources as possible, and sifting the myths from facts. I don't claim to be an expert, but I like to think I am highly knowledgeable on the matter.

For a long time, I wanted to be a self-defense instructor. I never really expected to make a living off of it, but I genuinely enjoy sharing my knowledge, and would be fine breaking even with my expenses. I got NRA Pistol instructor and Refuse to Be a Victim instructor certified, and even enlisted in the infantry (partially) to help sound more qualified to teach people. But I've been trying for over a year now to teach classes, even going as far to offer self-defense seminars over Zoom for FREE...and the only class I've ever held had two attendees. My wife, and my mother...

I've spent a lot of time offering people advice and sharing what knowledge I can online, mainly here on Reddit, but I feel like I'm just another voice in the crowd. So I thought about trying to make a blog to share my knowledge, but soon after I started trying to put it together...I just lost heart. There's no reason to think it'll be any more successful than my class offerings.

I guess what I'm trying to ask with this post is, is there room and demand in the self-defense world for another blog to have a significant voice? Would I actually be able to share my knowledge and opinions, or would I be shouting into the void? Would you guys, as people interested in the topic, even be interested in ANOTHER blog trying to tell you what self-defense is, or be interested in what I have to say? Or should I just give up on trying to do anything more with what I've learned, and use it for nothing more than keeping myself safe?



Submitted July 06, 2021 at 04:31PM by screenaholic https://ift.tt/3yscogJ

No comments:

Post a Comment