Friday, December 4, 2020

Observations from a POST-COVID world firearms instructor


Just a few random observations I have over the last 6 months... Some may find them interesting, others, not so much. Hope everyone is well, staying safe and finding some range time!Classes are booked out till Apr 2021+One way we survive in a COVID world as instructors, with roster restrictions (25% class capacity), is to run "couples classes" Of which, are wildly successful.Revolvers have made a huge return which I am surprised at but also pleasantly so (I do love me a good snub for defensive purposes).380 has become the go to defensive caliber folks bring into class, outstripping 9mm... Not sure how I feel about this....The .327 Magnum has made a bit of a return as well, this... I likeThe average age of folks taking an intro course varies wildly from early 20's to more often than not, late 60's and 70's (finding the right firearm for them is a challenge, especially when they cant rack a slide or pull an 11lb double action trigger. Thankfully the EZ slides from S&W are coming in clutch)Folks are picking up a handguns for defense first, but a surprising number are interested in the sport aspect and competition (good stuff!)"Smaller guns kick less!" is, still.... a fundamentally flawed belief, lol!After taking a handgun course many folks are returning to rifle and shotgun intro courses AND handgun level 2 and 3 courses! (good stuff!)Folks have tons of questions related to state level legal questions regarding self defense (good stuff!)99% of folks in our courses are there to learn; no egos, no attitudes and no "weirdos" (good stuff!)Ammo costs have not deterred folks from seeking out training and practice. This is a good thing but at the same time, I feel bad for them.... its tough times.All in all, times are crazy, folks are training at an unprecedented level but are doing so with an open and responsible mind.Train hard, train smart, have fun! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/37yvgPw

No comments:

Post a Comment