Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Gear Priorities and Tradeoffs in Holster Design


I run across discussions (arguments) about Sidecar/Monolithic style holster/mag combos vs standalone holsters and mag carriers frequently, and as a full time holster maker, it often seems to me that most of the reasons that people give for choosing for or against them miss an underlying issue that I wanted to highlight. I don't make any sidecar style holsters, not because I would have difficulty executing the design, not because I believe they can't be carried comfortably (they can, but it's fairly body-type dependent) or because they don't conceal well (although concealment also varies WIDELY from brand to brand and body to body.) The single biggest reason that I have for not making and not recommending monolithic holster/mag combos is that they bake in a certain gear priority that I believe to be suboptimal. The belt space forward of my hips is prime real estate, accessible with either hand, and tools placed there can be utilized even in a clinch, or when grappling around on the ground. Speed reloads are less important to me than access to a small fixed blade knife on my centerline, and FOF training in particular is truly eye opening on this front. Retaining and controlling your tools at contact distances is a challenge, and a slick 1R1 is unlikely to be relevant in that context. Have you taken any FOF classes? How did it reorient your priorities about what you carry and how you prioritize your tool access? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3nZ9wDp

No comments:

Post a Comment