Sunday, March 22, 2020

Strange situation today with an autistic child


My sister in law, her husband, my wife, and I were hiking today. We ran into one of my brother in law's coworkers. We stopped to talk for maybe 3 minutes about COVID stuff since their office is now working from home. Coworker was with his wife and his autistic child (the child is 14, mobile, had ear protection on, and didn't talk very well). After about 30 seconds the kid walked up to my sister in law and put one of his hands on her hip, then backed off. We all thought it was strange internally, but the ear protection was a hint so we just let it happen without acknowledging it. A minute or two later he went up to my brother in law and put his hands in his sweatshirt pocket, looking around for stuff. This is when we all had a collective "oh, it's a pocket thing" realization. My sister in law was wearing yoga pants and had no pockets, hence the weird "hand on her hip" thing. The parents were mildly scolding him in an embarrassed kind of way but not enough to change behavior. About 30 seconds after that we said goodbye and continued on our hike.Meanwhile, I'm pocket carrying a LCP. As soon as I figured out the pocket thing I had my hand covering my gun pocket and planned to deny access to my right pocket at all costs. Not sure what else I could have done, but I'm filing this away in my brain as something to watch out for. It's probably a one in a million sort of thing, but still, if he would have come to me first before I realized what was going on I don't know if I would have been prepared. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2QBEUJj

No comments:

Post a Comment