Thursday, December 8, 2016

Best way to respond to laid-off employee


Throwaway for obvious reasons.Situation: company office is in California. The executive staff, which I'm part of, has been planning a small layoff for about a week.On Monday, salesman Sam made some casual comments to his peers, Dan and Ross, about "I feel like I'm being forced out" and "if I were to get laid off before deal X closes, and not get paid for it, that's the kind of thing that makes people come back and shoot up their office." The three of them are socially friendly outside the office.Yesterday Sam was laid off. The exit interview went as well as could be expected-- no fuming or threats. It was made clear to Sam that he will receive his full commission when the deal closes. He's been around when other sales people left so he knows we have a good track record of paying off.Today Ross told the big boss about "this weird conversation I had with Sam" on Monday. He didn't seem particularly bothered by it. When we asked him about the conversation, Dan said that he felt weird about it too.Sam has a California CCW. AFAIK no one else in that office has a CCW. I live outside CA and have a resident permit in my home state plus a FL non-resident, so it's not legal for me to carry in CA; I'm only in that office about once a month anyway.What's the best course of action here? I don't want to completely ignore Sam's conversation but I don't know him well enough to know if there's a genuine risk. I don't want to nark him out and possibly cost him his CCW if this was just idle blather, but I don't want to put our staff at risk by doing nothing if he's being serious.Has anyone faced a similar situation before?edited to add some details that I left out before via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2gq5ZxH

No comments:

Post a Comment