Thursday, May 28, 2020

Self defense with minimal sparring

Hi all. I understand the importance of sparring. My current focuses are BJJ and boxing. Having got that out of the way, let me explain where I'm coming from.

My head seems to get knocked to the point of dizziness quite easily. Having had plenty of instruction, I know that it's not just that I'm bad at breakfalls etc. In any case, I'm trying to improve through neck strength exercises, breakfall practice, stretches, hydration, and, yes, I have also made an appointment to see a physician.

My focus is self-defense. If it turns out that, because of past injuries or for any other reason, I am simply too susceptible to head injuries to continue to practice full-contact combat sports, what would you recommend instead?

Maybe some form of karate that is mainly kata-based, but where these kata are fairly realistic, or even some style of tai chi where the focus isn't on developing mystical chi energy but developing relevant motor skills? Or an art with sparring but where head strikes and takedowns are not permitted?

Any advice or creative thoughts on how to approach this would be gratefully received.



Submitted May 28, 2020 at 08:09AM by PartPenguinPartBear https://ift.tt/3dcNLKR

No comments:

Post a Comment