Thursday, March 5, 2020

Paranoia vs situational awareness


Walking towards the entrance of a Walmart, I see this tall well-built guy with a full solid backpack and a pair of boots hanging on the side of it approaching the same entrance from the opposite side. I enter the double door area that holds the carts, the electric carts are in the middle, between the two door rows. I just took notice of the guy, nothing more. I go in, grab a cart, as I turn around with the cart to proceed towards the second row of doors, I see this same guy coming in rather hot (fast paced). As he walks into the door, he asks the receipt check guy at the door - are you guarding the doors? Rough voice, pretty loud and on a rather grave tone. He's now a suspect :) At this point I was almost in the second door's frame, pushing my cart. He then walks straight up to an electric cart, he is now some 8-10 feet at my 7 o'clock, as I am keeping an eye on him over my left shoulder. With a swift move, he takes off his backpack and places it in the electric cart's basket... and... proceeds to opening it. At this point, I'm full out concerned and turn a sharp right to get out of the door frame and be able to turn around and keep an eye on the guy. He opened the backpack and took out a white plastic bag with something in it, while I am watching him from quite a hidden spot now. At this time, everyone was a suspect to me :D After a few seconds it turns out he wanted to return something, and was asking for instructions, but the whole process looked very very suspicious to me. It might be that the guy gave me that first sight vibe of trouble.Was I paranoid or exercising a healthy situational awareness? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2TCCoDz

No comments:

Post a Comment