Friday, November 23, 2018

Helping my wife find a CCW pistol...pay attention at the gun store!


My wife has finally decided to further embrace my “gun culture”, and wanted her own pistol, with which she will eventually get licensed to carry concealed.This past Wednesday, we took a drive to a well known gun store and range, and started looking around. After having a nice discussion with one of the store clerks, he encouraged us to try a Sig P365. I’d never shot one, and have been avoiding them due to their issues, but that’s another discussion. We tried it anyway, as the in-store range allows you to try the gun for $10 with 10 rounds. If you buy that day, they deduct the $10 from the price, regardless of the gun that’s purchased. Fair enough I supposed.We filled out our paperwork, got the pistol, 10 rounds, and eyes and ears, and headed into the range. For the first 8 shots, accuracy was horrible, and every round failed to eject and feed. I was not happy with the gun, and the RO stopped to see how we were doing.I explained what was going on, so he unloaded the remaining 2 rounds, looked closely at them, and started shaking his head. The guy at the range counter had given us 10 rounds of .380ACP NOT 9mm. I felt incredibly stupid for not ensuring the ammo was correct before loading the mag.The RO got us 10 rounds of 9mm ammo, and the P365 ran them all perfectly. Hindsight being 20/20, that gun should’ve been broken down and thoroughly inspected before shooting it again. That’s the second mistake I made that day.We didn’t end up buying the P365. The wife doesn’t like the recoil of small pistols. She left with a Glock 19 Gen5, but I digress.The moral of the story...never assume anything. Always make sure everything is correct. Take nothing for granted. We had two opportunities for a pistol to blow up in our hands. Fortunately, that didn’t happen. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2DFWeHt

No comments:

Post a Comment