Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Creepy break-ins targeting female college students - how to protect myself? (xpost r/homesecurity, kind of)

I wrote a version of this on r/HomeSecurity, but want a different perspective aside from security devices.

The student neighborhood of my college has had multiple occurrences about every other week of the same incident: a female student wakes up in the middle of the night to find a hooded man standing in her room, watching her sleep, and sprints out of the house upon being seen. This has been going on for weeks. Previously the suspect was believed to gain entry just through unlocked doors/windows but more recently, police reports say the mode of entry was "unclear". Last night, a girl woke up at 3 AM to a man bashing his body against her locked apartment door trying to break in. I am worried that it will get worse than this, too, because I think it is the same man who was taking pictures of girls through their bedroom windows in the middle of the night a few months ago. He doesn't steal anything, so it appears he's there specifically for the female students, not money.

I am careful about locking my doors and windows, even my bedroom door when I'm asleep. However, I have roommates and they are not always so good about locking the door. Luckily we only have one door we have to worry about entry through and our windows are all casement windows so not easy to pry open, but these incidents are interfering with my sleep, and I wake up during the night anxious that there will be someone in my room. What else can I do to protect myself?



Submitted November 28, 2018 at 02:59PM by soullesshostess https://ift.tt/2QoTaXb

No comments:

Post a Comment